Astronomy A few questions

Discussion in 'Astronomy' started by Mizar, Dec 8, 2004.

1. Mizar

Mizar Premium Member

I can not answer these questions myself so I am asking for your help to answer these.

1. In a binary star system ( 2 stars orbiting each other) one of the stars colapsed into a black hole. The black hole begins sucking gas from its sister star. Eventually enough gas is removed from the star and it can no longer sustain a stable core. The srare explodes into a supernova. What happes to the black hole? Does it get oblierated? Or odoes something much stranger happen?

2. A planet once had plant life and bacteria that produced oxygen. The atmosphere had a large ammount of oxygen in it but all the life on the planet died for some mysterious reason. That happened thousands of years ago. Would the atmosphere of the planet still contain a large portion of oxygen? and in techinality be able to support human life?

3. Why is there a "plane" of the universe? What I am asking is why do galaxys seem to be situated in a "flat" plane of refrence and are not likre a globe or sphere? Why are they "flat"? Also why is this with solar systems also? Why do all the planets orbit in the same basic plane?

2. Freelance

Freelance New Member

2. A planet once had plant life and bacteria that produced oxygen. The atmosphere had a large ammount of oxygen in it but all the life on the planet died for some mysterious reason. That happened thousands of years ago. Would the atmosphere of the planet still contain a large portion of oxygen? and in techinality be able to support human life?

There are a LOT of things to consider here. First would it still contain a large portion of oxygen? It could, but does not have to depending upon atmosphere deletion chemical reactions etc. So the best answer is that it could but does not have to. As for the ability to support human life would depend as well. If it could support human life before then it still could, as it could change to be able to support human life. However, oxygen is not the only needed component to support human life, there are many others. For instance the pressure that the atmosphere has, what other elements are in the air, etc. There is a possibility that it could support life, even human life but there are MANY things that would have to be almost perfect.

I hope that helped you with your question, I will try to answer the others when I have time to sit down and type them out.

Edit JCMinJapan: Bolded the question for easier reading.

3. Zsandmann

Zsandmann Premium Member

3. Well its centrifugal force. The galaxy spins, solar systems spin, plants spin. The force is directed outward tangential to the equator of the body thus creating flattened galaxies, a plane of plantetary orbits, and moons or rings in a plane around a planet. Imagine a frisbee is the galaxy and you were standing in the center. Take one step away from the center and youd be flung out parallel to the flat of the frisbee.

4. Mizar

Mizar Premium Member

dear lord thanks zsandmann its so simple! ha i even asked a college physist that same question and he looked at me like i was crazy. as for my 2nd question scebew the part about sustaining human life. would the atmosphere still keep its oxygen is fine so freelance answerd my question. Yes i do realize that rocks and such would absorb the oxygen but I dont know why but I thought it would just go away some how.

What I was trying to get at with #2 was that just because the planet looks barren and desolate doesnt mean that it couldnt suport life if it was introduced.

5. Freelance

Freelance New Member

Really quick before I head out the door. You can look at mars for an example of a planet losing its atmosphere. There is a formula to tell if the planet can keep its atmoshpere or not based on its mas. Mars at one time probably had an atmosphere similar to ours but it was unable to sustain its atmoshpere. Gradually it began to leave teh planet and without any means to replenish its atmosphere it lost the majority of it. However you can sometimes reform an atmosphere. That is the idea of terraforming mars. Detonate nukes to melt the ice caps and work to invoke the green house effect warm the planet and poof you have an atmosphere(Actually more difficult than that but you get the jest of it). Atmosphere can be released from the natural nuclear breakdown of rocks but you need the neccessary gravitational force to hold the atmosphere or at least a way to replinish it.

6. Freelance

Freelance New Member

Oh yeah as for your first question, no one really knows. We do not understand black holes that much. Based upon popular models the likely conclusion is that the gravitational pull would in turn make a Larger black hole, with the excetion of the amount of mass that would escape upon the original explosion. Again this is only hypothetical as we do not really know much about black holes.

7. JcMinJapan

JcMinJapan Premium Member

Ok, now that we have brought up mars.... Well, mars does have clouds. Not sure if everyone know that or now. But, Yes, there are clouds on Mars. Mars does have a small atmosphere. Now, we do know that there is ice at the poles. Now, the question is, is there enough ICED WATER on the planet to start a full fledged atmosphere. Possibly. Now, anoter thing to consider as to why there is such a fascination with Mars is possibly not IF mars had life, but can it. Ok, We need to start thinking of where the human race will move to once this planet is not liveable anymore. Yes, it may be tens of thousands of years away, but we cannot wait, the science alone probably will take many centuries to perfect and get life sustaining on them and setting up infrasctuctures.

My personal guess is that Mars will become self sustaining on its own. But, probably too late for us. Why? Becuase as the the sun gets older, it will get hotter. as the sun gets hotter, the ice caps will start to melt, we will lose land, the hurricance will become super hurricanes and some may last for years. The earth will slowly get hotter and hotter as the sun gets older and older. We will leave the safety zone of the sun. Well, the next planet is Mars. Mars will slowly get warmer as well and yes, the polar caps will melt possibly creating a rich atmosphere. Exactly like our own? No, but fairly close. Enough to breath if there is enough water? Possibly. Although it will be different and harder to breath, we will adapt and our offspring will probably not have too many problems and will adapt till it becomes natural for them. So, the Human race in order to survive and carry on will have to colonize another planet sooner or later and once that or those planet leave the temporate zone of this or their sun or suns, then we will have to pack up and leave again.

So, as you can see, we need to develope new propulsion systems, we need to study every planet that even has a remote possibility to sustain us. It is an amazing universe and we have to develope ALOT in order to jump out there and start colonization.

I love this part of science! I sure wish I could be a part of the research in this area!

8. JcMinJapan

JcMinJapan Premium Member

Question one:

Great question and something I would love to witness. True we know nothing about it. But, the guess would be that the Black Hole would take anything hurled into it. Now, I am guessing that since these are sister stars, that they are relatively the same size. So, This I do not think it could happen. Because..... The first star would have had to already explode into a SuperNova first, either obliterating the other star or causing that star to explode as well and having two super nova and both turning into Neutron stars and thus collapsing into two black holes. Now, the larger Black Hole of the two would probably devour the smaller of the two. If they are the same size, I am sure interesting things will happen when two black hole fight for their very lives.

9. Mizar

Mizar Premium Member

so this scanair is almost impossible unless a wanderign black hole by chance coems upon another star.

10. Freelance

Freelance New Member

Nothing is impossible but what would probably happen is they would merge. If you watch Jupiter close you will see its storms devour the smaller ones. The great red spot is a prime example and has been around for at least 300 years. I know that the stars would start off the same size but the explosion would send part of the mass beyond the Rosche limit and would be absorbed. Thus increasing the mass and allowing more mass to be absorbed... Again we know so little about them that anything is possible.

As for you picture above there are some nice pictures of binary systems sharing some of the plasma and mass that look really cool!!

11. Freelance

Freelance New Member

Oh yeah as far as a wondering black hole goes, if I am not mistaken all things are constantly moving away from each other and picking up speed as they go. Thus the universe ends at 13.8 billion light years from us in any direction. Does it really end...no one knows once they reach that distance the are moving away from us faster than the speed of light and we can't detect anything that does that.
    P.S. faster than the speed of light in this case doesn't break any laws. It is the special law of relativity. They are moving one way we are moving the other so neither is actually going faster than the speed of light.