Puzzles & Games A deadly question - solved. well done h.h

Discussion in 'Puzzles & Games' started by kiwirobin, Feb 4, 2005.

1. kiwirobin

kiwirobin Premium Member

I heard this one in the army.
    I gave up after about a month and even after hearing the answer it took me awhile to get my head around it.

A man is taken prisoner during the war.
    He is brought into a room where two men are standing behind two identical chairs.
    His interigator says that one of the chairs is electrified and will kill him, the other is not.
    One of the men is ordered to tell the truth the other to always lie.
    The P.O.W may ask one question only directed to one of the men and the choose a chair to sit in.
    What can he ask to ensure a safe choice?

p.s: a version of this was used in the film "Laberenth" with David Bowie where the girl had to choose between two doors.

[Edited on 5-2-2005 by junior_smith]

[Edited on 2-5-2005 by kiwirobin]

2. Ape

Ape Premium Member

Do you know the right question to ask?

3. kiwirobin

kiwirobin Premium Member

Ofcourse I do awoken, otherwise I wouldn't post it.
    But I'm not tellin yet, no no, first you must suffer, Hee hee hee.:p

4. /Future Corpse/

/Future Corpse/ Premium Member

Ask one of the men:

[Edited on 2-4-2005 by /Future Corpse/]

5. kiwirobin

kiwirobin Premium Member

Don't forget f.c you don't know who is the lier or truth teller.
    In your example

If the man you ask is the truth-teller and his partner's chair is the electric one, then he will say Yes.
    yes = sit in chair with who you ask.

If the man you ask is the lier and his partner's chair is the electric one, then he will say No because he has to lie.
    no = sit in chair with who you ask.

The choices are the same for yes or no answers so your still not certain.

Very close, but no cigar.

6. Mark

Mark ♤♡◇♧ Staff Member

Ask,... "can I throw the switch?"

7. mscbkc070904

mscbkc070904 Premium Member

Ask him to sit in the chair.

8. kiwirobin

kiwirobin Premium Member

clue there are four possible combinations of liar and chair.
    The answer must cover these four possibilities.
    /Future Corpse/ is on the right track.

9. Ape

Ape Premium Member

how bout we say "if your lying tell me wich chair is electrified, if your telling the truth then then tell me wich chair isn't electrified."

10. helenheaven

helenheaven Premium Member

Ask one of the interogators what the other would answer to the question : Is Chair one electrified?

Then assume the answer you get is incorrect, and act upon that option.

If the man you ask is the liar, he'll incorrectly give you the truthful man's answer. If the man you ask is the truthful man, he'll correctly give you the liar's wrong answer.

I have seen a similar version of this elsewhere, I hope I managed to explain it correctly, it is a difficult concept to get your head around as kiwirobin says.

11. kiwirobin

kiwirobin Premium Member

Helenheaven is right :cheers:
    It is indeed a mind bender...Hee hee hee

Here's the breakdown.

The question that the P.O.W should ask is: "Is the left chair electrified according to the other man?" If the answer is "Yes", the P.O.W should choose the left chair, and if the answer is "No", the P.O.W should choose the right chair.

Explanation: There are four possible cases:

The P.O.W asks the question to the truth-teller, and the left chair is electrified. The truth-teller knows that the lyer would say that the left chair is not electrified, and so he answers "No".

The P.O.W asks the question to the truth-teller, and the right chair is electrified. The truth-teller knows that the lyer would say that the left chair is electrified, and so he answers "Yes".

The P.O.W asks the question to the lyer, and the left chair is electrified. The lyer knows that the truth-teller would say that the left chair is electrified, and so he lies "No".

The P.O.W asks the question to the lyer, and the right chair is electrified. The lyer knows that the truth-teller would say that the left chair is not electrified, and so he lies "Yes".