Zoology A closer look: Tursiops Truncatus

Discussion in 'Zoology' started by pineappleupsidedown, Oct 27, 2004.

1. pineappleupsidedown

pineappleupsidedown Premium Member

25.gif
    Common name:
    Bottlenose Dolphin

Scientific Classification:
    Kingdom Animalia
    Phylum Chordata
    Subphylum Vertebrata
    Class Mammalia
    Order Cetacea
    Suborder Odontoceti
    Family Delphinidae
    Genus Tursiops
    Species Truncatus

Basic Information:
    Bottlenose dolphins inhabit temperate and tropical waters throughout the world. Most dolphins undergo seasonal movements, probably as a response to variations in water temperature and food availability.

Bottlenose dolphins are not endangered fortunatly.

Dolphins are nondescript gray to gray-green or gray-brown on the back, fading to white on the belly, lower jaw, and #@!&% regions. The belly may be pinkish. This is a type of camouflage known as countershading, may help conceal a dolphin from predators and prey. When viewed from above, a dolphin's dark back surface blends with the dark depths. When seen from below, a dolphin's lighter belly blends with the bright surface of the sea. Older animals in some regions sometimes show an inconspicuous spotting along their sides and on their bellies.

Dolphins are dependant on sound to navigate in the water. Studies have shown Dolphins are willing to have goggles cover their eyes while underwater, but if you try and attach these same goggles on the very small ear canals on their heads, they will instantly try and knock them off.

Dolphins are active predators and eat a wide variety of fishes, squids, and crustaceans such as shrimp. They have a life expectancy of about 20 years.

Related to:
    There are no other species in the genus Tursiops

---pineapple

[Edited on 12-2-2004 by pineappleupsidedown]

2. junior_smith

junior_smith Premium Member

really? so are other dolphins not dolphins?

3. pineappleupsidedown

they are, there is just more than one genus of dolphin. I believe this means they mate and produce fertile young.

---pineapple

4. Zsandmann

Zsandmann Premium Member

I thought that only ones in the same species could mate? Like a housecat could not mate with a lion, despite the anatomical incomapability.

Also, I had no idea they only live for 20 years. Seems short for such an advanced species.

5. junior_smith

junior_smith Premium Member

like mules

6. pineappleupsidedown

Its really dangerous out in the ocean, plus dolphins love to eat tuna, and can get caught in the tuna nets.

---pineapple

7. tablet

tablet Premium Member

Where did you get that pic? is it copyright free? I can put it to good use, for banners.

8. pineappleupsidedown

I made all three myself, and did not use any picture that had a copyright written onto the image or had a obvious copyright on the webpage. So now they are copyright randomnous.iamthecheese.com :p

---pineapple

[Edited on 10-28-2004 by pineappleupsidedown]