Zoology A Closer Look: Sea Cucumber

Discussion in 'Zoology' started by mscbkc070904, Jan 31, 2005.

1. mscbkc070904

mscbkc070904 Premium Member

7.gif
    I thought I would share this, since I was just watching oln.tv and the show was killer instinct and they were tlaking about sea life in Australia. Many things caught my attention, but this one was neat. I am still researching the info on this particular one, but the Sea Cucumber is quite fasicinating. The Leopard Seacucumber not mentioned, was on the show talked about how when the animal is in threat it discharges a white tentacles out that can be irritating to human skin and possibly cause blindness, however the amazing thing was, it has a little fish that lives within the cucumber. The show didnt show it, but I want to get more info on it. Here is the website of info I got and below is parts of that site for quick read:

http://www.earlham.edu/~beirnlu/seacucumber.htm
    sea cucumber, Bohadschia argus

Kingdom: Animalia
    Phylum: Echinodermata
    Class: Holothuroidea

Holothuroidea

Introduction

Sea cucumbers (Holothuroidea) include more than 1100 species of marine organisms worldwide. They make up an ancient group; modern cucumbers are the results of 540 million years of evolution from their original appearance in the ocean (Lambert, 1995). These slug-like creatures suit their environment well. Their bodies are cylindrical, with a mouth and #@!&% at opposite ends. Retractable tube feet and tentacles allow feeding and movement along the sea floor. When encountering a predator, sea cucumbers will commonly expel their organs as a distraction. They have a supply of backup organs and the ability to regenerate those that are lost (Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 2000).
    The functions of sea cucumbers make them a crucial part of marine conservation movements. As large-scale detritus feeders, they are responsible for recycling up to 90% of the biomass on the ocean floor. The trade of sea cucumbers occurs consistently in world markets. In the Galapagos Islands, mass quantities of sea cucumbers are traded each year in dry form to Asian markets where they are considered delicacies and remedies for ailments and thought to have aphrodesiacal qualities (Environmental News Network Staff, 2000).

Conservation Status

No species of sea cucumber is listed on the ICUN red list. Upon examining the criteria, it is possible they have been omitted due to lack of research, or because although there are species threatened in a regional area but no species' global population is threatened.

The sea cucumber shown here is a "sand gobbler", with the mouth and feeding tentacles shown on the lower left side of the photo. It slowly plows along the ocean bottom, with padded, sticky tentacles (black with white fringes) picking up organic nutrient-coated sand particles and passing them to the mouth. Other small tube-feet along the ventral surface serve to slowly propel the sea cucumber along the bottom. If threatened or roughly handled, some species (including this one) eject sticky threads from its #@!&% (right side of photo) called Cuvierian tubules which are toxic to predators and irritating to an unsuspecting diver's skin.

2. pineappleupsidedown

pineappleupsidedown Premium Member

when i went to do the banner for the sea cucumbers, i didnt realize that they looked as cool as they do. bright red and pokey!

Thanks for the info mscbkc070904 !

---Pineapple

3. mscbkc070904

mscbkc070904 Premium Member

Thanks, maybe I can search around and find some more neat things to show and I will take the format you given me to do so. I wish I had done this the last 2 wks.

4. drlau

drlau Premium Member

Too cool! Excellent post, and another great 'A Closer Look'. Welcome to ID, by the way!

As always, another sweet banner by Pineapple!

5. Damin

Damin New Member

even thow they cleen up shark crap they are not the most important things
    besides it isn't even indangered