Zoology A closer look: Panthera Tigris Altaica

Discussion in 'Zoology' started by drlau, Oct 27, 2004.

1. drlau

drlau Premium Member

24.gif
    Following pineapple's lead...

My favorite animal is the Tiger, and more specifically, the Siberian Tiger.

Common name:
    Siberian Tiger, Amur Tiger
    Tigre de Sibérie (French)

Scientific Classification:
    Kingdom Animalia
    Phylum Chordata
    Subphylum Vertebrata
    Class Mammalia
    Order Carnivora
    Family Felidae
    Subfamily Pantherinae
    Species Panthera tigris
    Subspecies Altaica

Basic Information
    The Siberian Tiger is the largest living felid. Typical weights range from 100 to 167 kg (220-370 lbs.) in females and 180 to 306 kg (390-675 lbs.) in males. The record weight for this species is 384 kg (845 lbs.). Lifespan is 20-25 years.

In summer, the Siberian Tiger's coat is more reddish than in winter. Of all Tiger species, Siberian Tigers have the palest coat and the fewest stripes. The stripes on a tiger act in the same way that a fingerprint does on a human. Each stripe pattern is unique to that particular individual.

The hind limbs of a Siberian Tiger are longer than forelimbs to facilitate jumping. A tiger has been reported to cover up to 10 meters (33 feet) in a horizontal leap! Their paws are very large and equipped with long retractile claws that are ideal for grabbing and holding their prey.

The main source of food for tigers is large, hooved mammals, including various deer and wild boar. However, they will eat anything they can catch - including fish. Where wild prey is scarce, tigers will readily prey on livestock if it is available. Being very large animals, they need about 20 lbs of food every day to survive in the cold climate. At one meal a Siberian Tiger is able to consume up to 45 kg (100 lbs) of meat.

Generally, both female and male tigers maintain home ranges that do not overlap with the home range of another tiger of the same sex. Tigress home ranges are approximately 20 sq km (8 sq mi) while the ranges of males are much larger, covering 60-100 sq km (23-38 sq mi).

Threats:
    Extreme population decline due to loss of habitat, reduction in numbers of its prey, poaching and hunting.

In the 1940s the Siberian tiger was on the brink of extinction, with no more than 40 tigers remaining in the wild. Thanks to vigorous anti-poaching and other conservation efforts by the Russians with support from many partners, including WWF (World Wildlife Fund), the Siberian tiger population recovered and has remained stable throughout the last decade or so.

:( 3 subspecies of Tiger have become extinct in the last century - the Bali, Caspian and Javan tigers. The last Balinese tiger was killed in the 1930s; the last formally documented observation of the Caspian tiger occurred in the 1950s; the last Javan tiger sighting occured in 1972. :(

The Five Remaining Tiger Subspecies
    The Sumatran Tiger - Panthera tigris sumatrae with it's dark coat is the smallest of the remaining five tiger species. It lives in the forests of the island of Sumatra, Indonesia. Their population in the wild is estimated to range between 400 and 500 individuals located primarily in the Sumatra's five national parks. There are approximately 190 in captivity.

Indochinese Tiger - Smaller and darker than Bengal tigers, Panthera tigris corbetti is primarily located in Thailand but can also be found in Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Cambodia, Vietnam, and southern China. It is believed that as many as 1000 to 1500 Indo-Chinese tigers survive in the wild.

Bengal Tiger - Panthera tigris tigris, the most commonly known of all tigers, can be found in a variety of habitats in including lush forests, swamps and high altitudes of Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Myanmar, and Nepal. Their wild population is approximately 3,000 to 4,750 tigers.

Siberian Tiger - Panthera tigris altaica is the largest of all the tigers and is the biggest cat on Earth. The Amur tiger, as it is also known, can be found primarily in the forests of eastern Russia. It is estimated that 360–400 live in the wild, and about 490 in captivity. The last viable population of Siberian Tigers survives in Ussuiland of Russia, which is situated along the Sikhote-Alin mountain range.

South China Tiger - Panthera tigris amoyensis is the most critically endangered of all tigers. As it's name suggests it is found in Central and eastern China. The South China tiger is the smallest of the tigers. It is estimated that fewer than 30 can be found in the wild and 47 individuals currently live in zoos throughout China.

Why is this species important?
    The tiger is a powerful symbol of reverence among a variety of cultures that live across its range. Wherever tigers live, they command respect, awe or fear from their human neighbors. Even in places where tigers have become extinct or never existed in the wild, they live in myth and legend.

As top predators, they keep populations of wild ungulates in check, thereby maintaining the balance between herbivores and the vegetation upon which they feed. In short, when tigers thrive, the ecosystem thrives.

Plus, they are just too cool for words... :cool::up:

[Edited on 12-2-2004 by pineappleupsidedown]

2. pineappleupsidedown

pineappleupsidedown Premium Member

I bet you liked it when we added the icons to the site then, huh?

---pineapple

3. junior_smith

junior_smith Premium Member

what icons? why was i not informed? i have no idea whats going on lately hahaha

4. drlau

drlau Premium Member

pineapple - thanks for the sweet header on my post! It looks great!

As soon as I read your post on the Grey Wolf, I thought "Hey, the icon for Zoology is a tiger, we MUST get one in there for the tiger!" ;)

5. pineappleupsidedown

pineappleupsidedown Premium Member

no prob drlau, my pleasure.

Be that a lesson to you all! make an "a closer look" and you get to use my -oh-so-amazing banner-making skills :p

Yeah, tigers are neat too, my favorite is the white Bengal tiger. its really sad they are hunted so much :cryb:

---pineapple