Zoology A closer look: Canis Lupus

Discussion in 'Zoology' started by pineappleupsidedown, Oct 26, 2004.

1. pineappleupsidedown

pineappleupsidedown Premium Member

22.gif
    Common name: Gray Wolf
    (Spanish: Lobo French:Loup)

Scientific Classification:
    Animalia
    Chordata
    Mammalia
    Carnivora
    Canidae
    Canis
    Lupus
    Lupus

Basic Information
    The largest wild canid. Fur is thick and usually grey, but can vary from nearly pure white, red, or brown to pure black. Head-and-body length: 100- 150 cm. Tail length: 31-51 cm. Shoulder height: 66-81 cm. Weight: 16-60 kg, males heavier than females.

Gray Wolves live in packs lead by the alpha(head) male and his mate, the alpha female.

They mostly eat large ungulates (moose, caribou, deer, elk (Cervus elaphus), but grey wolves will also eat smaller prey items such as livestock, carrion, and garbage.

The wolf originally was the world's most widely distributed mammal, living throughout the northern hemisphere north of 15° N latitude. Present distributions are much restricted wolves occur primarily in wilderness and remote areas.

Threats:
    Competition with humans for livestock.
    Misunderstanding on the part of the public concerning the threat and danger of wolves.
    Clearance and fragmentation of habitat, with resulting areas being too small for populations with long-term viability.
    Hybridisation with domestic and feral dogs (Canis familiaris).

Related to:
    Tame dog (canis lupus familiaris)
    Red Wolf (canis rufus)
    Coyote(canis latrans)

---pineapple

These are my favorite animals. I plan on makeing more of these fact sheets for other animals I am interested it. If you would like to make one, please just follow the example i have made by this one. Thanks!

[Edited on 12-2-2004 by pineappleupsidedown]

2. drlau

drlau Premium Member

Excellent post, pineapple!

I'm taking you up on your invitation - I have posted one for the Siberian Tiger, Panthera Tirgis Altaica.

Doc