Human Biology A blind doctor

Discussion in 'Human Biology' started by oddtodd, Apr 3, 2005.

1. oddtodd

oddtodd Premium Member

http://yahoo.usatoday.com/news/education/2005-04-02-blind-doctor_x.htm?csp=1

I always have trouble with these long links , sorry . Sometimes a copy and paste of the whole thing into your browser window does the trick .

A 29 year old recently affirmed M.D. , blind since his late teens .

This makes any hurdle in my life seem inconsequential , there are apparently few limits to what a dedicated spirit can accomplish .....

2. Bleys

Bleys Phoenix Takes Flight Staff Member

:brkdnc:

An amazing and inspirational story. I applaud this person's accomplishment and feel very petty about my own daily gripes. We should look to him as an example of truly reaching ones potential.

But I am left wondering - would you use him as your physician? :o

B.

3. parrhesia

parrhesia Member

Good question, Bleys.
    I would think that if he is certified he's just as good as the next doctor. But at the same time, I don't doubt that many would feel some sort of hesitation initally due to his lack of sight. There's a kind of stigma attached to disabled people and it may negatively effect his career. Hopefully people will give him a chance. :up:

4. mscbkc070904

mscbkc070904 Premium Member

To have a doctor able to see you shouldnt be a limitation, the mere fact of knowledge and most likely his senses are probably more acute to sound and touch, unlike most others.

5. Bleys

Bleys Phoenix Takes Flight Staff Member

Putting aside any PCness and writing from the gut.

I want my gynecologist to be able to see.:o I don't want to be saying "that's not it" or "a little to the left."

Now I am not doubting this man's qualifications - he graduated high in his medical school. I'm just thinking that there would be some specialties that I would not use his services. General practioner - great, no problem. Optometrist - who's kidding who.

Just my thoughts on this.
    B.

6. JcMinJapan

JcMinJapan Premium Member

Yeah, I am sure there are limitation, I doubt he would take on brain surgery. But, if he has a nurse or other doctor to assist with the sight stuff, I would have no problems. After all, his sense of touch is more accute and more likely to find possibly swelling or lumps faster than a seeing doctor. A nurse can always tell him the coloration or or guide his hand to the correct area.

Basically, I want him to give me the correct medicine.... ;)

7. JcMinJapan

JcMinJapan Premium Member

Here is a great article from MSNBC
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7318398

Here are devices that he uses to help him out. I could actually see how he could possibly find problems that sighted people could not, due to lack of touch sensitivity.

This guy does not believe in giving up, loo at some of these accomplishments!
    Wow, here is a section on his medial diagnosis ability....
    I think that overall, people with sight have a more advantage and this just goes to prove that instead of complaining about the cards we are dealt, we should be out there giving our all to achieve our goals in life. Great Thread Bleys, I probably never would have read this if it had not been for you. Great motivation!

[Edited on 6-4-2005 by JcMinJapan]

8. oddtodd

oddtodd Premium Member

I wonder what it would be like to be blind . I have heard that certain senses make up for ones that are lost or missing .

I agree with Bleys that there are certain procedures that need sight but there are others that just need the sense of 6touch that this guy has a gift for .

Certainly he will need to specialize in certain fields of medicine and others would be off limits .

turns head and *coughs* ....

* afterthought : do blind people know if thier doctor is blind or not ?