Earth Science 20 years and 1 billion die!

Discussion in 'Earth Science' started by junior_smith, Jan 8, 2005.

1. junior_smith

junior_smith Premium Member

This is where we are if we do not lower our production of hydrocarbons in 20-30 years we will have hit a point of no return, there will be NO REVERSE! 1 Billion will die and even more forced into becoming refugees, and that is places like london and new york as well, NOT JUST POOR PEOPLE WHO YOU DON'T CARE ABOUT! thisis worse than i ever could have imagined. You will die if you dont stop

2. DreamLandMafia

DreamLandMafia Premium Member

Mind providing some proof and not just a rant with no facts that we can see?

3. helenheaven

helenheaven Premium Member

JS, are you referring to the phenomena known as global warming?

Where did you get your information from ?

We will die if we don't stop doing what?

4. bodebliss

bodebliss The Zoc-La of Kromm-B Premium Member

junior_smith,

This is a science site. Some facts and figures would be nice. We have enough scaremongering going forward on TV.

5. oddtodd

oddtodd Premium Member

scaremongering , good word , will make use of it in the future...

6. Facts would be good....I know I'm gonna die.

7. junior_smith

Oh ok one sec, i will put up some links and info in the next few days, but i cant specifically find the show i was lloking for but i will supply other facts

8. junior_smith

Nuclear Energy and Global warming:

http://www.ecolo.org/documents/documents_in_english/Lovelock_insight_07_04.pdf

http://www.democracynow.org/article.pl?sid=04/09/24/1359225

http://www.world-nuclear.org/info/inf59.htm

Effects of global warming:
    Science & Impacts | Center for Climate and Energy Solutions

http://www.worldviewofglobalwarming.org/pages/alaska3.html

Global-Warming.net – Opening Your Eyes On The Truth About Global Warming

http://www.ccasia.teri.res.in/country/sri/impacts/impacts.htm

Facts and figures:
    http://www.pewclimate.org/global-warming-basics/facts_and_figures/

http://entropy.brneurosci.org/co2.html

now i knwo some of you may come back and say that global warming is just an idea cooked up in the labroatory (pun intended), but the fact is there are only a few scientists left in defending the non-effects of gloabl warming. Up until about a month ago i was on their side but frankly we dont have much time left living in this way, either we do something now or our children will live in the dark.

-Graham

9. junior_smith

lol i got more response without facts and figures but with a bold stament, amybe thats how bush got elected schwing

10. Icewolf

Icewolf Premium Member

thankyou very much Junior, you have made my diong knowing i'm going to die if my government doesn't stop polluting our atmosphere, (something I have totally no control over)

11. overrocked

overrocked Premium Member

Maybe we should be posting some sites that offer solutions. (sorry- can't find this site)
    If we can reduce emissions by about 2%/yr in 10 years we will "lose" about 7000 lbs of CO2 per person

Like the 20 things you can do to slow down global warming.
    1. wash clothes in warm or cold- not hot water
    2. run dishwasher fully loaded-use energy-saving settings-don't use drying heat
    3 turn down water heater thermostat- don't overheat or overcool rooms
    4 clean or replace air filters (air conditioners, central air etc)
    5. buy energy-efficient compact fluorescent bulbs
    6. wrap water heater in an insulating jacket (or if you live in a hot climate like phoenix wrap your cold water pipes in insulating tubes)
    7. caulk and weatherstrip windows and doors to plug air leaks
    8. install low-flow shower heads to use less hot water
    9. ask your utility for a home energy audit
    10. when buying a new car get one that gets good gas mileage
    11. insulate your walls and ceilings
    12 select garage business if they recycle air conditioner coolant
    13. select energy-efficient home appliances
    14. reduce waste and promote energy-efficient measures at your school or workplace.
    15 plant trees by your home,
    16. paint house light color in warm climate, dark color in cold climate
    17. use mass transit occasionally
    18. buy minimal packaging or bulk-choose reusable products-recycle
    19 replace if needed with windows using best energy-saving models
    20. be informed about environmental issues- keep track of voting records- write or call to express concerns (US auto fuel efficiency)

Or asking your local congressman and house reps to support EPA

Or supporting green businesses

or buying from your local food co-op instead of paying supermarkets for their out of state produce

JUst think of it as a way to reduce your living costs, and have more money for green 'beer' :clwndnc:

12. mscbkc070904

mscbkc070904 Premium Member

I agree with overrocked...just stating it will happen and we need to do something, well, EDUCATE and APPLY, your effort may spread onto those not doing it and EDUCATE the kids as well this is their planet in the yrs to come.

13. junior_smith

how? these little changes amount to very little we need to do spomething to almost completley stop using fossil fuels or else this is nto going to end

14. helenheaven

helenheaven Premium Member

If everyone made "little" changes they would soon become significant changes

There is way too much hype surrounding these issues, imminent catastrophe has been a catch cry for many years, for every scientist crying disaster! global warming! fuel crisis! there is another scientist being funded to produce a different result.

It's like the evidence of an iceberg near NZ being used as proof of global warming. Over 100 years ago an iceberg was spotted thousands of miles even further north...so was global warming in force then ?

15. overrocked

overrocked Premium Member

Efficiency and 'smart' usage is what can 'stretch' out the supply we have, perhaps by lowering our appetite, we can at least keep demand and prices down for the short term. And give us the opportunity or chance to invest in renewables with the oil that we save. (like the Sadoway Slimcell battery) using a polymer electrolyte to reduce the weight of vehicles for transportation. 300 watts per kilo. Or subsidizing better farming practices through the Conservation Security Program- rewarding farmers for renewables instead of exporting our oil, water, and soil to world market for profit.
    Too bad we can't stomach the way Spain's Mondragon project has prospered. Co-ops seem to be another word for fascism in a purely negative way.

16. bodebliss

bodebliss The Zoc-La of Kromm-B Premium Member

We have unlimited resources and we should be about developing them.

Here start:

http://greennature.com/article701.html

http://www.physicscentral.com/news/news-02-5.html

http://www.pulseplanet.com/archive/Jan03/2830.html

http://powerweb.grc.nasa.gov/pvsee/programs/solarmoon.html

You might try reading this thread on ATS. It explains our unlimited resource situ a little better .

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread91350/pg1

A one-mile wide asteroid contains enough iron, nickel, and precious metals to provide all the Earth's need for two years(estimated worth: $5 trillion dollars).

17. spacedoubt

spacedoubt Member

You know..
    Even if global warming is NOT caused by human activity.
    What's wrong with saving a few bucks, by doing even just a few of the things on overrocked's list.

18. blackpanther

blackpanther New Member

You should all know that the only way to stop our imminent destruction is the stop driving fossil fuel cars and stop cutting down trees. It kills me when people ask for proof of global warming when it is right in front of their faces. Here is an example for those whom think global warming is a sham: build a clear plastic box with a hole to insert a hose from the exhaut pipe of your car. Place a plant in the box, and a bowl of water. Let the car run for a while. What happens?? Same thing with our world! Many people fail to realize that we also live in a restricted environment, and the amount of exhaust and air pollutants are going to reach a saturation point to where, I believe, will self-ignite and wipe out the planet. Why is your grass brown when it should be green? The amount of pollutants in the atmosphere at as a sort of lens, magnifying the heat rays from the sun, not to mention the effect the pollutants on the plants surfaces. We are doomed and either the government kn ows about it but won't say anything that will cause mass panic, or know but don't care since we may be already pass the point of know return. For all you naysayers out there who think global warming is a farce are most likely the same people who need tutoring on how to turn on a light.

19. pieman

pieman Premium Member

air pollution isn't as cut and dry as you thought, check this out, it's pretty interesting.

global dimming

20. pieman

pieman Premium Member

edited article

The effect was first spotted by Gerry Stanhill, an English scientist working in Israel. Comparing Israeli sunlight records from the 1950s with current ones, Stanhill was astonished to find a large fall in solar radiation. "There was a staggering 22% drop in the sunlight, and that really amazed me," he says.

Intrigued, he searched out records from all around the world, and found the same story almost everywhere he looked, with sunlight falling by 10% over the USA, nearly 30% in parts of the former Soviet Union, and even by 16% in parts of the British Isles. Although the effect varied greatly from place to place, overall the decline amounted to 1-2% globally per decade between the 1950s and the 1990s.

Gerry called the phenomenon global dimming, but his research, published in 2001, met with a sceptical response from other scientists. It was only recently, when his conclusions were confirmed by Australian scientists using a completely different method to estimate solar radiation, that climate scientists at last woke up to the reality of global dimming.

Dimming appears to be caused by air pollution. Burning coal, oil and wood, whether in cars, power stations or cooking fires, produces not only invisible carbon dioxide (the principal greenhouse gas responsible for global warming) but also tiny airborne particles of soot, ash, sulphur compounds and other pollutants.

This visible air pollution reflects sunlight back into space, preventing it reaching the surface. But the pollution also changes the optical properties of clouds. Because the particles seed the formation of water droplets, polluted clouds contain a larger number of droplets than unpolluted clouds. Recent research shows that this makes them more reflective than they would otherwise be, again reflecting the Sun's rays back into space.

But perhaps the most alarming aspect of global dimming is that it may have led scientists to underestimate the true power of the greenhouse effect. They know how much extra energy is being trapped in the Earth's atmosphere by the extra carbon dioxide (CO2) we have placed there. What has been surprising is that this extra energy has so far resulted in a temperature rise of just 0.6°C.

If so, then this is bad news, according to Dr Peter #@!&%, one of the world's leading climate modellers. As things stand, CO2 levels are projected to rise strongly over coming decades, whereas there are encouraging signs that particle pollution is at last being brought under control. "We're going to be in a situation, unless we act, where the cooling pollutant is dropping off while the warming pollutant is going up. That means we'll get reduced cooling and increased heating at the same time and that's a problem for us," says #@!&%.

Even the most pessimistic forecasts of global warming may now have to be drastically revised upwards. That means a temperature rise of 10°C by 2100 could be on the cards, giving the UK a climate like that of North Africa, and rendering many parts of the world uninhabitable. That is unless we act urgently to curb our emissions of greenhouse gases.